Mandy Cano Villalobos
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS/PERFORMANCES
2019 All That Glitters, UICA, Grand Rapids, MI
Frail Deeds, Saugatuck Center for the Arts, Saugatuck, MI
2018 Dust in the Mouth, Gray Contemporary, Houston, TX
Otherwise, you live, Lafontsee Gallery, Grand Rapids, MI
2016 Hearts and Bones, The Fed Galleries, Kendall College of Art and Design, Grand Rapids, MI
What is Gone, 33 Contemporary, Chicago, IL
Part of me, 337 Project Space, Grand Rapids, MI
2014 Voces, Institute for Labor Generosity Workers and Uniforms, Long Beach, CA
Pure Blood, Cobalt Studio, Chicago, IL
2013 Pedazos, Casa Pauly, Puerto Montt, Chile
2012 N.N. (Ningún Nombre), La Casa de Arte y Cultura "Calles y Sueños", Chicago, IL
Voces, Porter Butts Gallery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
2011 Voces, Roxaboxen Exhibitions, Chicago, IL
May Hosiery Mills, Seed Space, Nashville, TN
Nombre, Krasl Art Center, St. Joseph, MI
2010 Americans, 106 Division, Grand Rapids, MI
Voces, Open Concept Gallery, Grand Rapids, MI
2009 La Llorona, 106 Division, Grand Rapids, MI
2008 Everyday, Hillyer Art Space, Washington, DC
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS/PERFORMANCES/FAIRS
2019 POSITIONS art fair, drj, Berlin, Germany
Proof of Concept, drj, Berlin, Germany
Fiber as Metaphor, Gallery Fritz, Santa Fe, NM
Clotheshorse, Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, IN
2018 Miscellaneous Papers, James May Gallery, Algoma, WI
Public Space 415, Site: Lab, Grand Rapids, MI
Exigent, Divisible, Dayton, OH
Tiny Acts Topple, Woskob Family Gallery, State College, PA
2017 The Gig Economy, Boston Center for the Arts, Boston, MA
Microcosm, Form and Concept, Santa Fe, NM
Slightly Obsessive, Lafontsee Galleries, Douglas, MI
Whatchamacallit, Gallery CA, Baltimore, MD
2016 Points of Departure, John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI
Extended Family, Kentucky College of Art and Design, Louisville, KY
(Re)Compose, Grand Rapids Art Museum Fellowship Venue, Grand Rapids, MI
Material Culture, William Roland Gallery of Fine Art, Thousand Oaks, CA
After Dinner, Before Dancing, Chicago Filmmakers, Chicago, IL
Beyond Material, Garage Door Gallery, Sierra Nevada College, Tahoe, NV
2015 Anthology 2015, Van Der Plas Gallery, New York, NY
Mark, Ground Floor Gallery, Nashville, TN
Rumsey St. Project, Site:Lab, Grand Rapids, MI
Deep Play Fun House, Seed Space, Nashville, TN
Woven Values, WORK Gallery, Stamps School of Art and Design, Ann Arbor, MI
2014 Somebody Else’s Reality, Film Festival presented by Please Hold Magazine, St. Louis, MO
Rapid Pulse International Performance Festival, Dfbrl8r Gallery, Chicago, IL
What Not to Wear: Women Sculptors, Luther C. Brady Art Gallery, The George Washington University, Washington, DC
Moving Image Reel #1, ACRE Lab, Mana Contemporary, Chicago, IL
2013 A Sense of Place, Ruth and Elmer Wellin Museum of Art, Hamilton College, Clinton, NY
(e)merge Art Fair, Washington, DC
Pulse/Pulso, Kendall College of Art and Design, Grand Rapids, MI
Genocide, Ukranian Institute of Modern Art, Chicago, IL
USA Documenta, Museum of New Art, Detroit, MI
2012 FLUX, Chaos F Gallery, Washington, DC
(e)merge Art Fair, Washington, DC
Broad Without Walls, Broad Art Museum, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
2011 Praxis, Sitelab, Grand Rapids, MI
2010 Michigan: Land of Riches, Public Museum, Grand Rapids, MI
2009 The Object: Found, Multiplied, Manipulated, Ridderhof Martin Gallery, University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA
Public/Private, Arlington Arts Center, Arlington, VA
2008 ActiveSite, Grand Rapids Federal Building, Grand Rapids, MI
I love you love me, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY
To Remain, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Sondheim Semi-Finalists, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD
Here and Now, Transformer Gallery, Washington, DC
2007 Transforming Spaces, Messiah College, Grantham, PA
Shapes and Sizes, Area 405, Baltimore, MD
Accumulation, Rosenberg Gallery, Goucher College, Towson, MD
2020 Sarah Stanley Gordon Edwards and Archibald Cason Edwards Fellowship
Virginia Center for Creative Arts, Artist-in-Residence, Amherst, VA
2019 Art Omi, Artist-in-Residence, Ghent, NY
Distinguished Artist Lecture Series, Marywood University, Scranton, PA
Ignite Curatorial Fellow, Kendall College of Art and Design, Grand Rapids, MI
Saugatuck Center for the Arts, Artist-in-Residence, Saugatuck, MI
Peñasco Theater, Artist-in-Residence, Peñasco, NM
2018 Artist Seed Grant, Frey Foundation
Hambidge Center, Artist-in-Residence, Rabun Gap, GA
2016 Artist Seed Grant, Frey Foundation
Vermont Studio Center, Artist-in-Residence, Johnson, VT
Ragdale, Artist-in-Residence, Lake Forest, IL
Wassaic Artist-in-Residence, Wassaic, NY
2015 Grant, Puffin Foundation, LTD.
Artist Seed Grant, Frey Foundation
2014 Contemporary Artist Center at Woodside, Artist-in-Residence, Troy, NY
2013 Grant, McGregor Scholars Program
ACRE (Artists' Cooperative Residency and Exhibitions), Artist-in-Residence, Chicago, IL
2012 Calvin Alumni Association Grant
2010 Grant, The Henry Institute
2008 Grant, Puffin Foundation, LTD.
Janet & Walter Sondheim Prize, semi-finalist
2007 Wilson College, Artist-in-Residence, Chambersburg, PA
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & PRESS
• Site:Lab Rumsey St. Project 2015+2016. Blurb Books. 2017. Catalog.
• Carol, Angela. “What’s a Whatchamacallit?” Bmore Art. March 2nd, 2017.
• Kirkman, Rebekah. “Group show at Gallery CA Explores the Many Facets of Identity”. Baltimore City Paper. February 28th, 2017.
• Dodi, Emily. “Material Culture at CLU’s William Rolland Gallery of Fine Art”. VC Reporter, October 5th, 2016.
• “South Coast Art Exhibit on Clothing Explores Social Issues”. City Arts and Lectures. NPR, KCLU. Thousand Oaks, CA. September 6th, 2016.
• Rose, Renee Laverne. “An Interdisciplinary Artist, Mandy Cano Villalobos”. Amplified Artist Network. May 11th, 2016.
• “Best of 2015: Our Top 10 Exhibitions Across the United States”. Hyperallergic. December 16th, 2015.
• Menard, Kate. “Anthology 2015 at Van Der Plas Gallery”. ARTE FUSE. Dec. 23rd, 2015.
• Steinhauer, Jillian. “ArtPrize is Made of People”. Hyperallergic. Oct. 9th, 2015.
• Vinebaum, Lisa. “Performing Globalization in the Textile Industry: Anne Wilson and Mandy Cano Villalobos”. The Handbook of Textiles.
Bloomsbury Publishing. 2015.
• Shorb, John. “An Interview with Mandy Cano Villalobos”. SARTS Magazine. July, 2014.
• Jenkins, Mark. “When Nature and Art Come Together”. The Washington Post. June 22nd, 2014.
• Mays Hosiery Mills, from Seed Space. Ed. Andri Alexandrou. Nashville: Nashville Cultural Arts Project. 2014. Catalog.
• Joseph, Sarah and Jimenez Flores, Salvador. Pulso. Grand Rapids: Kendall College of Art and Design. 2013. Catalog.
• Smith, Terry and Adler, Tracy L. A Sense of Place. Clinton, NY: Ruth and Elmer Wellin Museum of Art. 2013. Catalog.
• Armstrong, Eames. “(e)merge: Performance Art”. Performa Magazine. October 16th, 2012.
• Smith, Matthew. “Emerging Again: D.C.’s (E)merge Goes into its Second Year”. New American Paintings. Blog. October 11th, 2012.
• Capps, Kriston. “Emerging at (e)merge: Mandy Cano Villalobos”. ArtsDesk, Washington City Paper. October 6th, 2012.
• Ramanathan, Lavanya. “This Show May Leave You Singing”. The Washington Post. October 5th, 2012.
• Sullivan, Michael. “The (e)merge art fair: A Look at this year’s artists”. The Washington Post. October 5th, 2012.
• Stauffer, Tema. “New Artist Feature, Fall 2011.” Culturehall. Feature Issue 81. December 14 – January 10, 2011.
• Burke, Stephanie. “Top Five Weekend Picks! (10/7 – 10/9)”. Bad at Sports. October 7, 2011.
• Worley, Sam. “Mandy Cano Villalobos’s Voces: art against atrocity”. Reader Recommends, Chicago Reader. October 6, 2011.
• Capps, Kriston. “Here and Now”. Sculpture Magazine. January/February 2009.
• Judkis, Maura. “Optimist Opportunities”. Washington City Paper. December 22, 2008.
• O’Sullivan, Michael. “Leftovers Worthy of Another Look”. The Washington Post. Sept. 12, 2008.
• Dawson, Jessica. “Highs – And Lows – in the 20s”. The Washington Post. July 18, 2008.
• Judkis, Maura. “Closed Call”. Washington City Paper. May 20, 2008.
• Hughs, Jason. “Accumulation”. Baltimore City Paper. July 17, 2007.
2006 M.F.A., The George Washington University, Washington, DC
2000 B.A., Asbury University, Wilmore, KY